The UK’s film and high-end television tax reliefs are widely recognised as the most transparent, inclusive and reliable production incentives in the world.
There are five Creative Industries tax reliefs available:
- High-End Television
- Children’s Television
- Video Games
- For all British qualifying films of any budget level, the Film Production Company (FPC) can claim a payable cash rebate of up to 25% on UK qualifying expenditure.
- The Tax Relief is capped at 80% of the core expenditure i.e. even if you have 100% UK-qualifying expenditure, tax relief is only payable on up to 80%.
- There is no limit on the budget of the film or the amount of relief payable within the 80% cap.
How to qualify
You can only access the tax relief if your project:
- Qualifies as British – either by passing the relevant BFI Cultural Test or by qualifying as an official co-production
- Reaches a minimum UK core expenditure of 10-25% (dependent on the tax relief you are claiming). This includes projects made as official co-productions
- To access the high-end television, children’s and animation reliefs, your project must be intended for broadcast (television or internet), while film projects must be intended for theatrical release
- Apply to access the relief through HMRC